As enterprise applications have to uphold business continuity and progress, data security, and many more versatile aspects, developers are always on a lookout for the most efficient platform to build such high-end apps. And Node.js has catered to this requirement for quite some time now. Right since its debut, Node.js has helped many businesses to streamline their service and received Uber, Microsoft, LinkedIn, and Yahoo as some of its early adopters.Wondering the reasons behind the craze of Node.js in the developers’ world? This blog will explain everything. Before diving in, let’s take a quick look at what Node.js is, in case you don’t know it already!
Node.js – A Quick Intro
Reasons Why Node.js is Adopted for Enterprise Web Applications
There are various reasons why Node.js stands out in developing efficient, real-time, and multi-user web applications. Let’s outline these below:
- Scalability & Performance
Let’s analyse it with a simple example of a restaurant. In a restaurant, multiple people can order simultaneously. The waiter takes down the orders and informs the chef to prepare the dishes. When the chef is preparing for the first order, the waiter can take other orders without waiting for the chef to complete the first order. Node.js, too, works in a similar manner. The thread allocated to handle requests can manage multiple inputs at once like a waiter. This enhances the productivity of the entire applications.
Further, Node.js is equipped with PM2 process manager that simplifies monitoring, optimizing & deploying of Node-based applications and Cluster module that supports load balancing over a range of CPU cores. These features make Node.js highly scalable.
No wonder that the developers hold it to be the ideal solution for crafting traffic-heavy real-time enterprise applications.
- Cross Platform AppWith frameworks like Electron or NW.js, Node.js enables the developers to easily build cross-platform desktop apps. Instead of writing from scratch, the devs can reuse some codes from their web apps for the desktop versions for MacOS, Windows, and Linux.The platform is rapidly becoming popular among the start-up devs due to their limited resources. With this platform, the developers can build a spectacular desktop app without having high-end expertise in Objective-C, C#, and other native app languages. As you can understand, Node.js has an immense potential to bring agility and creativity real fast.
- Node Package Manager (NPM)The Node Package Manager or NPM registry contains numerous modules with more getting added perhaps even when you are reading the blog. These open-source dynamic tools and minor software packages are easily accessible on GitHub. Node.js development service providers can tweak them as per the project requirement without having to write the common features from scratch.The NPM has also released an enterprise version to solve privacy and security issue which is a major concern for large enterprises. This version enables the developers to run the NPM infrastructure safely in the background of any company’s firewall. The companies can control code access, pinpoint vulnerabilities and automate the replacement of the flawed codes.
- Micro-service ArchitectureNowadays, entrepreneurs prefer to start with an MVP (Minimum Viable Product) release and as the company starts to grow, a wider range of solutions are brought to the platter without affecting the existing functionalities. Therefore, each step of the development and management of the web applications need to grow and be monitored at a consistent pace.Microservice comes to the assistance herein. Various aspects of an application are first divided into multiple fragments and then scaled & deployed independently.
The microservice architecture of Node.js enables vertical and horizontal scaling and offers optimum output. It helps to manage various micro-tasks like email marketing, CMS, deployment, and more. Further, in terms of computing power, RAM usage, and efficient performance – Node.js exhibits greater efficiency than other platforms.
- Advantage of CachingNode.js facilitates caching single modules. Whenever there is a request for the first module, it instantly gets cached in the app memory. Therefore, the developers need not re-execute the codes and caching ensures swift web page loading. This, in turn, makes the application respond fast to users.
- Reusable RESTful APIReusable RESTful APIs are a major focus in Node.js. This is yet another reason for the enterprise app developers to prefer this platform. These offer a flexibility in developing large-scale software systems and allow managing a large volume of data by seamlessly connecting to the backend. These also ensure to keep things lightweight.
- Community SupportNode.js has a strong, large and active community of devs who contribute towards further improvement. The community is well-supported by JS programmers who provide turnkey solutions and codes in GitHub.
- Major Enterprise Applications Built on Node.jsThe architecture of Node.js perfectly suits the high-end enterprise-level apps that exhibit excessive I/O operations with the network or memory. That’s why, this is ideally used for developing chatting apps, streaming video apps, gaming apps, and more.Some of the major companies that relied on Node.js as their primary technology to develop applications are NASA, LinkedIn, Netflix, PayPal, Amazon, eBay, Medium, Uber, Walmart, Trello, etc. This indicates that Node.js is highly efficient for traffic and resource-rich application development.
The demand for Nodejs development services for enterprise web applications has witnessed a steady growth for a long time and it is only here to stay. The above-mentioned advantages perhaps made you convinced of why we say so.
Hope you had an enjoyable reading.