24 Apr / 2009 59 views
Using Joomla for Website Design
Joomla is a content management system(CMS) for websites. With the help of this CMS the web pages of a site can be maintained and updated easily. Even a web page can be easily added or removed from the site. Joomla is a very popular CMS and preferred by many designers. Using Joomla an innumerable number of websites are run on the World Wide Web. Joomla when compared to other WYSIWYG editors has a number of beneficial features as well as some shortcomings.
The Benefits of using Joomla:
- Open Content Management System – One of the most convenient features of Joomla is that it is an open content management system. It implies that the users do not have to pay any license fee for using this application.
- Community Resource: Since it is a very popular CMS, a huge amount of community resource is available for Joomla. There are huge numbers of people who support this CMS. Forums for Joomla with huge membership strength are there.
- Easily Extended – Another striking feature of using Joomla web design is that its functionality can be easily extended. A huge number of plug-ins and add on features are available for Joomla template design. Some of the mostly used plug-ins used in Joomla website designs are blogs, project management tools, shopping carts, video plugins, image galleries etc.
- Editing Web Pages: The look and feel of a website can be easily changed by using Joomla. The templating system of Joomla allows these easy alterations. Without redoing the whole thing, the slight changes can be brought in to the design of the page.
The Shortcomings of Using Joomla
- Chances of Misuse: The Joomla sites often fall prey to hackers. Since it is a popular content management system, it gets huge exposure and becomes vulnerable to misuse. To prevent this, the users have to be conscious about the security settings on the server.
- Search Engine Friendliness: For the older version of Joomla, the local search engine friendliness was taken to be one of its shortcomings. But this can be overcome if the available plugins are judiciously used.
- Smaller Sites: Sometimes the use of this content management system may not be suitable for very small sites.
Besides some of its shortcomings, Joomla is a content management system that is widely used for website design. If you are also looking forward to develop your site using Joomla, then you can get in touch with us. We are Webguru Infosystems – a web development company providing Joomla web design services. You can also contact us if you require Joomla customization for your existing sites and blogs.