04 May / 2010 1,015 views
Designing a Site from the SEO Point of View
When a site is designed and developed, it is meant to bring proper business to its owner. Mere launching the site is not enough to attract online visitors. Often incorporating search engine friendly features are overlooked. If a site is not properly optimized then it would be difficult to get noticed by your potential customers.
Search engine optimization (SEO) can help to boost a site and achieve commendable position on a search engine result pages. Here are some of the basic ways to use SEO friendly features on your site:
- Use of Bold Tags and Heading: Proper use of heading and bold tags is necessary while designing a website. Bold tags are mainly used to denote the important sections of content to the search engine crawlers.
- Optimization of Image: Search engine bots can not crawl the images used in a website design. So it advisable to use correct and relevant ALT texts.
- Use of External Files for Java and CSS: If all the codes are placed on a web page then automatically it becomes heavier and it can take up much time to download. If an external file is created for websites where Java Script and CSS are used, then it will be easier for a web page to download.
- Title and Meta Description: For every page of a website unique title and meta description are to be used. Often it is seen that same page title and meta description have been added in a CMS based site. But this reduces the value of the site to a search engine.
- Session IDs: If cookies are not available then unique PHPSESSID gets attached with the URL of a web page. This often creates a problem on the search engine. Each time the page is accessed, the search engine takes it as individual web pages and it can mark it as duplicate page. To avoid this problem url_rewriter.tags can be used.
- Canonical URLS: To avoid being marked as using duplicate content it is better to use 301 permanent redirection to the URL that contains www. It advisable to use a site URL as <a target=”_new” rel=”nofollow” href=”//www.webguru-india.com”>//www.webguru-india.com</a>