(A comparative study of Google, Yahoo and Msn)
Websites are at loggerheads with one another in order to establish one’s omnipotence in the cyber world. Every now and then, huge products and services have been added up by the websites.
In the following lines, an attempt has been made to give you overall glimpse of the product and services of the three major websites namely Google, Yahoo and Msn.
Birth of Yahoo, Msn and Google
The last few years of the 20th century witnessed significant achievements in the cyber world. Google, Yahoo and Msn were born and started to exercise a great influence.
Founder and Year of Birth
- Jerry Yang and David Filo, Electrical Engineering students of Stanford University founded Yahoo, a universal Internet service company on 1st March 1995 at Santa Clara, California, USA.
- Msn, an Internet service provider was created by the Microsoft and launched on August 24, 1995.
- Larry Page and Sergey Brin, students of Stanford University co-founded Google on September 7, 1998, at Menlo Park, California.
Services of Yahoo
- It is a web portal
- Search engine
- Yahoo! Directory
- Yahoo! Inc. provides search services like Yahoo! Video, Yahoo! News, Yahoo! Shopping
- Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! Messenger.
- Yahoo! 360°, Yahoo! Personals, Flickr,
- It provides contents through services like Yahoo! Finance, Yahoo! Sports, Yahoo! Sports, Yahoo! Music, Yahoo! News, and Yahoo! Games and many more
Services of Msn
Msn primarily started as an Internet portal. Like other big websites, Msn has also a wide array of services. In 2006, it was reorganized and branded Windows Live. Many of the services were renamed under the new brand name.
- Windows Live Hotmail,
- Windows Live Messenger
- Live Search
- Windows Live Maps
- Windows Live Spaces
- Windows Live Alerts
- Search Engine and many more.
Services of Google
- Search Engine
- Gmail, web based mail service
- Google Images
- Google Maps
- Google Shopping
- Google Search
- Google video, YouTube and many more.
Right since the beginning, there exists a stiff competition among the search engines. They roll out advanced regulations for the websites to rank high and drive more traffic. Once the website owners engage SEO services, the professionals recommend relevant strategies.
To speak of MSN (the Microsoft Network), the Internet service provider has added up huge services to its realm. Since its inception, MSN has been providing Windows operating systems, which are widely used than Mac, Unix etc.
Long back, Yahoo partnered with Internet service providers and telecommunications to expand its broadband services. It was taken to compete with a leading American global Internet services, AOL LLC. (Erstwhile America Online, Inc.). With the release of Google’s Gmail in 2004, Yahoo increased the storage of Yahoo Mail accounts from 4 MB to 1GB.
Last year, Yahoo made its storage unlimited. A more decisive move, Yahoo has recently extended its photo sharing, Flicker with videos in order to compete with its competitors YouTube.
Google has expanded its wings in almost all the online services. The search engine leader did come up with online Google Doc services. But, its limited storage facility has not proved to be user friendly than Windows operating system.
However, Google’s recent pronouncement of the introduction of App Engine has set fire in the web industry. A giant leap, Google seems to be emerging as the 21st century advertising tycoon and huge user data like Microsoft, which has been ruling in the cyber world with its productive software’s and user-friendly operating system.